I've been wanting a stack of design boards since forever. Every time I've sat down to work on an applique block or a fiddly pieced block. I have finally decided on these, and they consist of a mashed technique or two.
The first one I did was simply glued, but I wasn't happy with the finish on it (yes, I'm fussy). I really like stitching on the binding of the end product.
The second attempt was to sew the fabric edging binding-style straight onto the board, even though it was quicker, less messy and the sewing machine did fine, I didn't like the finish. But, if you don't mind the back looking a little skew-ey this method is fine.
So, my preferred method is one where I first stitch the binding fabric so that when it's glued on it looks like it's stitched, plus nice and straight front and back. Happy days! ...it's the little things... ;-)
Materials used - great for using up scraps too:
- Corflute panel/s
- 2" strips of fabric, long enough for binding the entire square (I used scraps)
- squares of batting (I used scraps here too)
- Craft glue - acetone free (I used the brand 'boyle')
Method I used for these boards, but can be made any size:
- Cut corflute into 11" squares (got 6 out of the panel I bought from hardware shop)
- Cut batting to exact same size
- Glue the batting to the front of each board
- Press the 2" fabric strip in half
- Fold over one side of the fabric towards the fold approx 1/4", and topstitch 1/8" or just less from edge
- Do the same on the other edge of the fabric, so the 2 long edges are folded over towards the centre press line
- Glue the binding around the edge of the board - I glued the centre press line to the edge first, then worked around the edges and used binding clips to hold it firm
- I mitred the corners...well a bit, wasn't really fussed with them too much, just enough to neaten the corners
- Leave the binding clips on the corners until the glue is tacky and holds firm, then take the clips off and leave the glue dry overnight
- ta daaahh!!! Done :)